Friday, August 31, 2007

Quesadillas

We had some tasty quesadillas tonight. One of the good things I did was use Cubanelle peppers. I have been unable to tolerate bell peppers for some time now, and a friend whose husband has a similar problem told me that he is able to eat Cubanelles with no trouble.

Stuff you need:
Half a butternut squash
package of tortillas (we used sun-dried tomato ones, but use what you've got)
2 Cubanelle peppers, sliced
1 onion or 1 bunch scallions, chopped
Cheddar cheese (or whatever your favorite kind is, you'll need ~2 cups)
garlic
cumin
pepper
salt
sour cream

First, steam or bake the squash until it's tender. Remove the rind and mash it up, adding salt and garlic to taste. You can use pre-cooked frozen squash, or the pre-cut frozen squash if it's easier. You can also find pre-cut, peeled butternut squash in the produce department these days.

Next, spread some squash over 1/2 of a tortilla. You will want it to be a thin but even layer.

Put chopped peppers and onion on top of the squash, and sprinkle pepper and cumin on top.

Put about 1/4-1/2 (depending on size and taste) cup cheese on top of the peppers and onions.

Fold the quesadilla in half and bake at 350F for about 7 or 8 minutes (until the tortilla is crispy and the cheese is melted). Serve with sour cream on the side.

2 comments:

JeanC said...

Cubanelle peppers huh? I'm going to have to track me down some. Green peppers don't like me, so I usually pick them off everything and give them to my hubby. I like the flavor they impart, but I hate having to be so fiddly with my food.

Unknown said...

Wow, you bake it huh? I'll have to try that ASAP. I'm always trying to perfect a delicious quesadilla, with little luck.