Sunday, November 11, 2007

Illinois Pie

I have renamed my pie due to the wackos who have made their money by suing people who use the original name. I'd never have heard of them if they hadn't sent me a nastygram, and they've ensured that I won't be purchasing their products (or recommending them) ever. I also noted that their "trademarked" pie contains walnuts, which kind of defeats the purpose of the whole southern theme. Therefore, I have named MY recipe after the state in which I grew up, because the pecan's scientific name is Carya illinoinensis. :)

A word of warning: If you try to leave out the bourbon, the recipe just won't work properly; the ingredients do not stratify into the layers like they should.

You need:
1 pie shell (there is no top crust)*
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 stick butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 tablespoons bourbon
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips (half a bag, generally)
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Mix all but the pie crust together (this is easier if you stir in the pecans and chocolate chips last) and pour the mixture into the crust. Bake for 45 minutes. Allow the pie to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Goes great with vanilla ice cream.

*About the Lady's pie crust issues: There are some things in this world that are harder for some people than others. Pie crust is an ancient nemesis of mine, and I have spent many an afternoon weeping because of it. No, don't offer to teach me. I've had at least four people try and fail. I know my limitations, and using a pre-made crust saves me the frustration as well as the time and cleanup of making it from scratch. For this particular recipe, I use a frozen crust that comes in the pie pan. Check ingredients carefully! Generic or store brands often use animal fat or lard. Non-generics generally use vegetable shortening, and the difference in price is minimal. If you are good at making pie crust, of course, have at it! :)

No comments: